Mobility Cars Invalid Carriages Legislation

Published: 28th June 2011
Views: N/A

The Department for Transport separates mobility cars or invalid carriages into 3 categories. This is defined under the piece of legislation ‘Use of Invalid Carriages on the Highways Regulations 1988'.

Class 1

This covers manual wheelchairs like those that are self propelled by the user or someone pushing and are not electrically propelled. This class of mobility cars do not need to be registered with the DVLA.

Class 2

This class of mobility cars covers those that are powered and includes powered wheelchairs. It covers those types of vehicles that are meant to be used on footways and can have a maximum speed of 4mph and a weight of 113.4Kgs with no one sat in it. Again, these are not required to be registered with the DVLA.

Class 3

This class of mobility cars and invalid carriages covers those which are mechanically propelled. They are manufactured or modified to be able to exceed a speed of 4mph. They are limited to a maximum speed not exceeding 8mph on level ground under their own power. This encompasses powered wheelchairs and other outdoor vehicles including mobility cars that are intended for use on public roads/highways. These types of mobility cars have to be fitted with a speed limiter that can limit the maximum speed to 4mph when being used on a footway. The weight without anyone sat on it must be no greater than 150kgs. These classes of mobility cars must be registered with the DVLA.

Applying With The DVLA to Register a Class 3 Mobility Scooters or Invalid Carriage

In order to be able to use your mobility cars on public roads and highways you must register them with the DVLA. They have to be licensed in the disabled taxation class and must display a nil duty tax disc. The mobility cars and invalid carriages are not like other vehicles in that you do not need to provide evidence of VED exemption when you are licensing it in the disabled taxation class. In addition, they are also exempt from paying the first registration fee and you do not need to display registration plates. The process of registering and licensing a class 3 mobility scooter invalid carriage is quite straightforward. Go to the post office and complete form V55/5 for used vehicles or V55/4 for new vehicles. Once completed you must send it to your nearest DVLA office or in the accompanying V100 mobility cars information leaflet. In order to register you will need to provide evidence of the vehicles age and it will need to be submitted with the application along with documents which confirm the keepers name and address. Ask the counter clerks at the post office for help if you're confused.

Do You Need Insurance?

While it is not a legal requirement, we strongly advise that you have insurance. Finding a suitable scheme is neither too difficult nor expensive and really do give you piece of mind as they cover your personal safety, third party safety and the value of the vehicle in the unlikely event it gets damaged or stolen.

Where can I get further advice about the use of mobility cars and invalid carriages?

Useful information can be found on the DfT Website for class 3 mobility cars. Read about Mobility Shop Scooters Here.

Browse Mobility Scooters at low prices here.

Report this article Ask About This Article

More to Explore